Tuesday, September 20, 2022

The Brutality of September 20

Nine Oldtimers wore light-colored, loose-fitting clothing today.  The temperature was forecast to hit 93 with high humidity to boot.  Somebody also cut new pin placements.  I doubt seriously if the culprit with the hole-cutter was actually an employee.  They were dandies ... just right for very fast greens on a very hot day.  Your Acting Commish hit two greens in regulation today ... the greenie holes ... 5 and 11.  I'll be telling you all about my winning shot on five after I skim over the the results.

The team of TD, DA and LE (I list them with the top contributor first and then the lesser contributors in descending order) won the front at +2.  The team of BC, DK and CV won the back and total at +1 and Even.  TD easily won the front, tied for first on the back and won total with a tasty +5, +2, +7.  BC split the honors on the back with his +2. RP, BC and DK split 2nd and 3rd on the front with +1s.  CV gets 3rd on the back with +1.  BC wins 2nd total at +3 and BH wins 3rd total at -1.

OK, now for me.  I got to 5 with a swirling wind challenging a back-center pin.  I decided to feather a little 11-wood in there to hold the green.  All this thought took 2.4 seconds, because we noticed BC looking at his watch on 4.  He hadn't taken his second shot yet, but he was noticeably annoyed at the pace of play.  Anyway, I took a hefty swing and hit the ground about 1.5 inches behind the ball.  The force closed the face and turned my little butter-cut into a rope-hook that hit the bank above the bunker in an ideal place.  The ball popped onto the green, ran down the hill (yes, the front of 5 is higher than the back.  No answer as to why) and ended up about 20 feet past the pin ... on the green ... closer than my teammates.  I curled the 20-foot-right-to-lefter into the hole ... and even with a birdie shot my worst, competitive round of the year ... a -7 86.  Hall was on the phone while I was creating magic and was visibly surprised to find that it was my shot, not Purschke's.

BH -1 to 30.  CV -1 to 28.  TD +1 to 25. LE -1 to 28. DA -1 to 29.

Aholt 29 *
Blackwell 31 *
Clark 36 *
Coleman 33 *
Cozzo 27 *
Crow 32 *
Curran 28 *
Curtis 30 *
Dister 28 *
Dunlavy 25 *
Ecklekamp 36 *
Eggert 28 *
Eichelberger 33 *
Fortner 30 *
Gildehaus 29 *
Hall 30 *
Harrison 23 *
Johnson 32 *
Kavanaugh 27 *
Kossmann 27 *
Loyd 23 *
Miller 25 *
Moosmann 28 *
Morris 26 *
Nealis 23 *
Purschke 25 *
Sharma 32 *
Viox 25 *
Voss, Chas 28 *
Voss, Colby 32 *
Voss, Dean 36 *

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I’m so very proud. The wife.