Saturday, November 21, 2020

A FEW THOUGHTS AND OBSERVATIONS ......LIVE FROM ST SIMONS ISLAND

It seems like the RSM Classic will never get here each year....but boy does it fly by once the action starts. I can't believe that today was my last day to work until next year. The RSM is never really crowded with typical PGA Tour spectators, but without the bleachers and sky boxes surrounding the finishing holes it felt totally different from my past years working the event. With the exception of more lost balls from errant shots, the caddies and players enjoy the empty tournaments without fans, even though they will proclaim on interviews that they miss them. I had the chance today to watch the final group play 16, 17, and 18 on TV... a few observations...the greens are in beautiful shape, smooth as a babies butt, with plenty of extra rollout, much nicer than they came accross on my tv. Almost all of the player/caddie conservations, even putts involved the wind factor. The wind blew in from the north at 13 to 20 mph everyday I was there. The players ability to flight their shots, and hit them without a lot of spin is truly amazing to watch. I will say that tv doesn't do the course justice, the surrounding views of the water and marsh areas are simpley beautiful. The green surrounds are almost all closely mown bermuda, and create super tight lies for chipping. Short chips into the grain, posed a few problems for even these guys. The bunkers are deep, but perfect. i never saw a bad lie in four days, regardless of the type of shot that was hit from the tee or fairway. As you all know that I am interested in clubs and shafts; I spent a lot of time every chance I got looking into bags and eyeballing the caddies as they put clubs back in the bag. Especially interesting is the custom putter covers and headcovers these guys have. Too bad that I couldn't take pictures for you to see. Since he is not playing in this years event, Davis Love III has been seen quite a bit around the property. Yesterday morning, I spotted him sitting in a work cart wearing shorts and an old sweatshirt talking to a few people. I overheard a few player conversations about his new house he is building (his 260 acre marshside house was destroyed in a fire last spring). I hope that I didn't bore you with my ramblings. See you all in a few weeks, and have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: