Sunday, May 21, 2023

Special Addition #10 from Scotland (Clark & Eichelberger's Big Adventure!)

Todays golf started with my man Jimmy feeling a bit under the weather, but he put on his rally cap, laced ‘em up despite a couple nagging blisters and off we went on Leven Links.  This great course dates to 1846 and is a true links with criss crossing holes, mounded fairways and supposedly one of the hardest finishing holes in Scotland.  We had two great caddies in Tom and Kevin, both members of the club who managed to steer us around with a wealth of local knowledge.

The thing about these links courses is that you can cruise along hitting the ball well and then one bad bounce and you are staring a double bogey in the face. Jimmy has managed to hone his bump and run game nicely and has gotten up and down from all over with good chipping and solid putting.

Once again links golf has jumped up and bitten me in the ass.

Every caddy I have, I tell them to keep me out of fairway bunkers.

Today finds me with a decent round going and in one again, in a footprint, my ego won’t allow me to take a drop in the bunker as I feel I can at least get it out… wrong decision. After swinging precariously and actually falling over into the bunker, my next one is out but in the deep rough… a few more wacks and a glaring 7 is on the card. Just another dose of links golf humility.

Jimmy rallied and despite a few hiccups hit it quite solid. He’s swinging shorter with more control.

The 18th is a real test and my caddie was a 6 handicap and has been a member at Levin for 17 years and has only birdied it 5 times. It has a winding burn right in front of the green that swallows up dots that are just short.

Jimmy was on the green in two after a buster drive and I thought he was going to make it for sure…. But not to be…

Golf gods decided not today.

As I write this I’m sitting in the clubhouse of Lundin Golf Links with a table of members behind me watching the PGA. This club is special. Mostly running along the ocean it just gets your attention. Beautifully manicured it winds through dunes and gorse with deceptively large greens. The local golf pro’s son Ryan caddied for me and we had a ball. I did manage to scrape it around the front nine in -2. My best 9 hole round in Scotland but just couldn’t hold it together on the back. Jimmy made another stellar par on 18 to my bogey but I could hardly be disappointed with a great day. This place might be the favorite of the trip. It just has a great feel…. Ocean, links and friendly members… what more could we ask for.

 The winning team at Leven Golf Society Links

The entire crew at Leven
The guys with a spectacular view of the links behind them.
Mike in a dreaded fairway bunker at Leven.
Mike and Jim safety on a par 3 with looks at birdie at Leven.
Pro Shop at Lundin Golf Club.
Mike preparing for a drive right down the middle as usual at Lundin.
Mike and his caddie at Lundin.  The caddie was the professional's 15 year old son.  #1 tee shot with nothing but beach and water down the left.
Donut shaped bunker on a long par 4.

No comments: