Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Special Addition #12 from Scotland (Clark & Eichelberger's Big Adventure!)

LAST DAY of MIKE & JIM'S SCOTLAND TRIP!!!

After about a 40 min drive north of St Andrews we rolled into our last day with the rented Volvo finding an open spot in the lot at Carnoustie as our first stop. It’s an iconic venue for certain. Set in a somewhat urban setting they try to do everything first class. Nice greeting and orientation, track man warm up area inside, expansive putting area fenced off from the general public. Ultra nice and professional.

Chris and Stuart were to be the caddies of the day, both members of the club and I must say they are very loyal and proud of where they belong.

Together they did their best to navigate us around the links. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to listen well and I found a few spots that Chris said not to hit it. Jimmy had some sharp irons going thru the round capped off by a blistered 5 iron 235 yards downwind to about 20 feet. Both the caddies said we could stand here all day and not see one that close.

That statement was magnified by my toed hybrid short and right of the green. The course is truly a championship venue and if the rough was much higher…. Which I guess it does get up as it warms, I’m not sure the average player could get around.

One can only imagine playing a fine drive that rolls on your intended line only to arrive at it and find a subtle knoll in the fairway has wickedly guided your ball into a fairway bunker that offers a cruel exit sideways. Such is links golf. It truly adds respect for those skilled and lucky enough to win the Open.

I had a heartbreaking bogey on 18 and I’m not going to take the heat for it. After a booming downwind drive that rolled for ever and skirted several pot bunkers I had about 120 into the hole and I’m already seeing that birdie on my card at the last. I asked my caddie how far to clear the burn in front of the green. 85 to clear and about 122 pin.

I had memories of the Jean VanDeVeld collapse and definitely wanted over that burn, but also wanted to get it close. No matter what I hit it’s going to bounce and roll 40 yards.. he hands me the 56… which I hit 85 yards consistently. I want the 52 but he says no 56 is plenty… ok… I go with what you say… I hit it well only to watch it fly into the burn, hit the wall and bounce back out towards me in the fairway. Lucky break. Not in the water but darn sure not a birdie.

I hit the same club again now 40 yards closer and two putt for bogey but could have been worse.

And the round is over.  Carnoustie wins. Both Jimmy and my impression…. Great course…. Just not exactly what we were expecting. As far as scenic views, there are nicer ones, as far as tests of golf… pretty tough.

Humbled but in good spirits we headed a mile or so down the road to Panmure. Founded in 1842 and steeped in history, this is where Ben Hogan came to prepare for his only Open championship. Tight fairways, rolling sloping greens and plenty of rough. It’s classic links without the ocean. I thought it was a great fair test of moderate length.

Paul and Tony were our caddies and they were so cordial and helpful. The great thing about the Scottish golf experience is taking the caddy and getting a small glimpse into their lives and they in yours. Paul and I discussed and it’s true…. If you approach the game with a more relaxed frame of mind and enjoy the walk and company exchanging pleasantries you end up playing better.

Despite reeling inside after a missed putt or offline shot, it still is just a moment in time that will pass and another opportunity presents itself just another few steps away. Jim and I felt the same as we concluded with two near birdies at the last and a couple solid pars at the end….mission accomplished, 24 courses in 13 days. A remarkable experience, great people and culture who welcomed us warmly everywhere. We are ready to come home, but the memory bank is full.

Carnoustie with halfway house in the background.
Carnoustie
Guys in a deep ass bunker short of the green at Carnoustie.  Better just get it out.  Both guys missed these massive bunkers today.
Jim getting out safely from a pulled drive into a fairway bunker at Carnoustie.
The guys at Hogans favorite club.  The Panmure has a very historic clubhouse.
Hogan and Panmure connection.
Guys at Panmure.
Panmure has mounds and wasteland everywhere.

Panmure clubhouse behind on ugly mug!!!
Panmure view.

No comments: