Monday, May 15, 2023

Special Addition #3 from Scotland (Clark & Eichelberger's Big Adventure!)

 Mike Clark's Notes:

North Berwick West links was a true test today. What a layout just steeped in history. This was definitely one course that was at the top of my list to play in this area. Golf has been played on this site for a long long time. Prior to teeing off we were ushered into the clubhouse for a tour and upstairs to the bar for a warming whiskey and views of the 18th green and fairway.

Todays front 9 played straight into a 30mph wind and was a real eye opener. I think on the second hole I hit a decent drive my caddie told me I had about 240 to the pin…I’m thinking I’m in good position to hit a well positioned lay up and a birdie chance to go one under…. Wrong… it’s a par 4… I smoked a 2 iron low and running and still had 60 yards in.

Nice little 2 putt bogey. Turf here is tight and there is no room for error… you hit it flush or you don’t. It’s a quick lesson in contacting the ball first and a dose of humility if you don’t. The course ventures out away from the town and turns around and heads back in. A true links style all along the seashore.

Despite giving myself some birdie chances I never made one. Jim made the only birdie of the day. Not that I didn’t have my chances as I had a long eagle putt on 11 which resulted in a three putt par and nearly drove the green on 18… downwind I might add… and another 3 putt par on the 18th and a lost golden Murphy from the fringe… I did my utmost to not throw the putter on hallowed ground and walked away with my tail between my legs and 5 lost dots.

Old Tom Morris would have been proud of me.

It was a great experience… I feel at peace with a great day….. but I’m still hot about that 3 putt par… and that lost golden Murphy.

Jim Eichelberger's Notes

North Berwick West Links

Fantastic course on the beach.  The front 9 played into a 30 mph wind and was challenging. 2 long par 4’s of 400+ that were unreachable in two. Back 9 was with the wind.  Out in 35 and in was 36 for par 71. 

We played with Lucas from Switzerland and Patrick from Boston.  Two very nice gents.   

Mike was the medalist for the foursome with a very solid 77. Jim took runner up with a lack luster 84.  The positive for Jim is he finished with a 39 on the back after a 45 on the wind punishing front.  Shocker😂. 

We then finished at a local pub called Ault Hoose.  Not house.  Mike’s adding of salt to his beers was a huge show for the local pub goers.

Scotland now has “trash” for golf and salt for beer.  They keep asking “is this a new American thing” and I quickly respond “no! This is a Mike Clark thing”.  😂😂😂

Photos from Noth Berwick West Links:



















No comments: