Sunday, March 17, 2024

Day 12: Mike Clark in Thailand

Today I’m back for my well deserved revenge on Pineapple Valley. My tee time was not till 11, but I’m here at 8:30am sharp to get a locker, chip, putt, hit bunker shots and thoroughly enjoy the range with nice grass and top quality Taylor Made balls. Since I always say “there’s nothing more dangerous than a man with options”….

I’ve brought 2 putters to this country, the Side Saddle and the Custom Odyssey. Up to this point I’ve not used the Odyssey at all and it’s just been extra luggage weight that I drag around.  I wanted dearly to give it a chance and I certainly gave it every opportunity on the practice green, but I just made more with the side saddle, so once again I had to resign it to the locker prison.

Today I’ve got the same caddie, Ta, as yesterday and I start the round loose and well prepared.  After a great drive on hole 1 that luckily skirts the water, I’ve got an uphill 8 iron that I flush and stuff right under the  pin to no more than 5 feet.  Anxious to get the birdie train rolling, Ta tells me “left side 1 ball”.  I hit it exactly where she says and there is not even a sniff of break back to the right.  I’m staring at the spot in disbelief, unable to get my head around another missed makable birdie chance, not to mention a big shit attitude sandwich to eat on hole #1.

Ta just smiles and giggles a little and says “I not sure”, “Lot more holes”……Obviously it means more to me than her.  I had to take a pic of that beautiful flowered tree on the second hole in an attempt to “smell the roses and find a happy place”.

The third hole finds me on a downwind par five and I notice the unmistakable all white figure of Casper the friendly ghost and the Mrs on the way to the green after a flurry of swings.  I’ve hit a nice drive here and only have 220 to the hole, but it’s well bunkered with water on the left. I’m looking to lay up and have a routine SW into the hole. I’m unsure of the club and the exact lay of the hole and Ta hands me the 8. I ask “safe?”….And she nods in approval. I hit it solid but tug it just a bit and it’s a flyer….. 2 bounces in the fairway and it curls to the left and down the slope into the water.  Drop, wedge, another missed 8 foot putt and the first bogey of the day is on the card. I just smile and shake my head but Ta knows she’s on dangerous ground.

Luckily we bypass Casper again as they had jumped around and were just finishing. We played a few more holes and quickly caught up to a threesome of guys from Australia. I’m glad we did as instantly the mood lightened. These fun guys are just starting their Thailand trip and this is their first round. One is the pro from their home club in Queensland and the other 2 are members. I watched the pro 3 putt the first 3 holes we played together and instantly I felt a little bit better about myself.  I had a lot of laughs with these boys as they didn’t take their errant shots too seriously.

Not a single birdie in 36 holes for me at Pineapple Valley and a 75 today.
I think it’s safe to say I can let the Odyssey out of jail tomorrow.








No comments: