Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Day 21: Mike Clark in Thailand

Today finds me with mixed emotions as my whirlwind Thailand adventure comes to a close.  I am excited to get home, but it’s been quite nice having my clubs handed to me shot by shot and being chased around by a polyester clad nymph with an umbrella….  A service I’m certain is not available at home.

As usual, I arrive at Thana City Cc in plenty of time to get loose and warm up.  This is a Greg Norman design and facility and the range and practice areas are fitting of a first class club.  Shaded hitting stations with fans, nice mats, quality balls and well marked targets.

I take full advantage of the opportunity today and hit the first tee loose, already soaked and ready to play.  My caddie today is Bo… a nice gal, but about as helpful as Bo Diddly, Bo Jackson or Bo Peep….its all me from this point on.

Today, I’m paired with two nice Japanese guys in their 50s and introductions and bows are made.  A quick glance at their equipment reveals all new quality sticks and I’m hoping they can play.  That’s when I notice it… the better player of the two is wearing pants that clearly say “Master Bunny Edition”.  It’s plastered all over his bag as well…..

Master Bunny hits it well in the form of a controlled cut and is surprisingly long.  After several holes, it’s quite clear that this guy is a good amateur player.  He’s fast, hits it where he’s looking and he’s a good putter.  I’m getting outdriven on most holes but I’m not missing many greens, making all pars till #9.

On #9, the Master Bunny has split the fairway and I’m just in the trees, on the right, after a slightly flared tee shot finds me in the mown monkey grass but with a clear window under and through the tree canopy and over a canal to the green.  It’s not a hard shot by any means and I catch it crispy.  The ball jumps out off the club face, arching on the intended line to the green, until it hits the one hanging bean pod in my line.  The pod explodes to bits as if I’ve shot it with a load of 12ga bird shot, and my golf ball falls limply with a small splash into the canal.  Double…. Plus 2 for the side and I’m a little warm to say the least as I compliment Master Bunny on a nice up and down par.

As we pull up to the 10 tee box, Master Bunny is gleaming happy and exclaims “we even!”  I doubt that…. However, I never knew we were playing each other on the front…. But that being said, you can bet your bunny ass it’s ON now.  I can’t face my countrymen if I loose to a guy wearing bunny pants.

We match each other with pars on 10 and 11 and on the par 5 12th he splits the fairway again with his well controlled fade.  Bo says “aim at Bunker on left“ which I do…. And hit it 6” from going in.  When I arrive at my ball, I see I have no stance whatsoever and have to climb into the sand with my pitching wedge, in an attempt to hit it with a baseball swing, as the ball is chest high above me on the turf….. I manage to make contact and advance it about 80 yards.  Master Bunny smoothly hits a perfect layup, short of the canal, in front of the green and is looking at an easy wedge shot and potential birdie.  I’ve got 186, over water, to a front pin and into the wind as well.  Let’s just say, I hit the best 4 hybrid of my trip on a high arching soft falling cut shot that stops less than a foot from the hole.  The Bunny is visibly shaken.  He fats his wedge with a splash into the drink and then blades a second into the water and the game is over.

The round ends with a bogey here or there for each of us but our national pride remains intact and I can carry my head high back to FCCC.

Reflections on my trip:
1. The Thai people are some of the friendliest nicest people on earth.
2. Always do your best to smile and be kind to others despite what’s going on with you or behind the scenes.
3. Substandard chipping and or putting knows no boundaries.
See you all soon !
















No comments: