Thursday, March 7, 2024

Day 2: Mike Clark in Thailand

Blue Canyon Lakes and a happy reunion between myself and my 14 long lost friends!

Day 2 in Thailand started off on an obviously positive note as my golf clubs and I were finally reunited last night about 11pm. No damage thank goodness and enough stickers and urgent tape strapped all over the hard case to ensure someone other than me thought this to be extremely important.

A nine o’clock pickup up this morning finds us hurling through a maze of scooters, taxis, tuk tuks ( a type of open air flashy taxi) and general cars of all types for almost an hour away to Blue Canyon golf club.

The entrance to the Thai golf clubs are pretty telling of what’s behind the fence and this place is snappy.

The LPGA is here next week and they are gearing up and doing their best to showcase the course and clubhouse. I play this course one more time before I leave this area and I’m going to make a point of allowing extra time to enjoy the club experience. The locker rooms are fit for royalty with spa, sauna, steam and all are included and expected in your day of golf. The locker room attendant was visibly disappointed that I could not take advantage due to a tight pickup time from my driver, but I still gave him a tip for a nice fresh towel.

Another great caddie today and a real sweetheart in Aroma. She was barely as tall my side saddle putter but a real go getter. These gals want you to have a good time and believe me they talk among themselves constantly.

Today I was paired with a very nice husband and wife from Russia and a banker from Switzerland. The poor caddie that had this guy really drew the short straw. He was having a bad day, and as we all know, you start trying too hard and it only gets worse. He was not the most pleasant guy, which obviously impacts the caddie. Thus I found it internally amusing when he randomly disturbed a fire ant mound and was frantically doing the happy dance trying to brush them off his legs and ankles. Bottom line is you’re on vacation… don’t be an asshole.

I played a mixture of the blue and black tees today as the fairways were firm and fast and the greens rolling a true 10. I actually made a few putts today….. which keeps me from being an asshole.

Happy to have my clubs back I’ve got a -1 in the books for the day.  Aroma was all smiles as was I !












2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that your putter didn’t have any jet lag after a grueling trip

Anonymous said...

I brought the short putter as well just in case the side saddle doesn’t cooperate!
Nothing more dangerous than a man with options!