Monday, March 25, 2024

Day 20: Mike Clark in Thailand

As I finish my round today and head to the locker room, despite continually drinking Gatorade and water, I’ve gotta be down 10 pounds.  I’m completely soaked, from head to toe, as if I’ve jumped in the lake. I’ve been thru 4 all weather gloves and my hand towel is also wet and rendered useless.  I even notice my tiny caddie, Audi, has sweat beading up on the perfectly applied white makeup on her forehead.  It’s hot and humid in Missouri in late August but this heat is an ass kicker.  I later learn from my driver that it was 101 today….and I’m not the least bit surprised.

Royal Gems City is a replica course of all famous holes that you would recognize on the front and the complete back nine of Augusta National.  I think they have done a pretty good job with 11-12 of Amen corner being very picturesque and quite similar.

I’m paired today with Gerald… a nice fellow from Canada. Despite getting here early and allowing myself ample time to warm up, the starter cancels that out and rushes me to the tee to get ahead of a group of 12 Asian guys.

I’ve got nothing but time on my hands, but there sits Gerald and caddie ready to go in his cart looking eagerly in my direction. I reluctantly agree and am rewarded with a nice double bogey to start my round after I double cross my intended high cut shot from 200 into the trees…… fun factor -negative 10.  Gerald is a new golfer and chopper…. We manage a tie on number 1.

The fairways here are lush and green to be sure… they are also soaked and neither of us gets any roll on our tee shots.  The result is a very long and tough golf course. We are playing the blues but should have moved up to the whites.  I manage to get my act together and as always, I’m having fun with the caddie who’s a sweetheart. Gerald is not emotionally attached to any of his golf balls and we thankfully move it along in the smoldering heat.

A birdie on 17 eases the pain of another 3 putt on 16 for the 3rd DAY in a row but I quickly follow it up with a closing bogey on 18… which I will say is a decent score as the card says 433 uphill into the wind on a wet fairway.  To the bunker on the left…..Which Sandy Lyle, masters champ hit 2 iron into…. I measure and it’s 268.  I’m well short of it and still have 233 in to the green…the numbers don’t add up but whatever… I wedge it reasonably close on my third and miss the 10ft par putt on the edge.  76 on the card for the day.

A tip of the hat to Gerald and I’m off to the locker room worthy of Royalty… a cool shower and dry clothes.

One more chance tomorrow at under par and then I’m on the plane back home to the points game!

See you all soon!











No comments: