Monday, March 11, 2024

Day 6: Mike Clark in Thailand

Today I’m back to Blue Canyon Country Club on the Lakes Course again. There is another course called the Canyon that I had hoped to play, but they have it shut down for the LPGA tournament which is this weekend.

I did share the putting green with several of the players who were eyeing up my side saddle putter with envy or curiosity or disdain…. I’m not sure which, but I was making a few, none the less, and I could feel the eyes on me. I will say that to watch these girls practice is a learning experience in of itself. They do EVERYTHING with a purpose and don’t waste any shots knocking it around nonchalantly. They line up every practice putt and they chip to targets every time. They are experts at controlling contact and distance. It’s precision workmanship and they have the wedge and putter mastered. I’m jealous.

Today I’ve drawn another nice caddie by the name of Dada. She’s another tiny gal that has to stand up on the back of the cart to extricate the clubs from the bag.

I’m also paired up today with a couple from Singapore and a local from Phuket who joins us on the second hole.  He’s touting a full size staff bag that says Thailand Ryder Cup on the back, but after one swing, I can assure you he never made the team or was a Captain's pick. I didn’t ask him about it, but I should have. He looks like Genghis Khan, but good ole Gengis probably had a better swing and didn’t wear striped socks. My Singapore couple dressed the part, but also couldn’t play a lick.

I’m sure they thought that about me as well after I made a smooth double on the first hole after dumping my approach in the water and leaving my next wedge shot still not on the green.

The rest of the day went smoothly as I was playing the Blues and the rest of my group the Whites or Reds respectively. It’s tough in situations like this to not be a golf snob as these folks are trying just as hard as I to play well.

Dada and I had trouble getting on the same page about how putts break, but the language barrier is just too much to overcome. She says one ball or one cup etc and points to the area she thinks is correct, but I’m looking at the high point of the roll.  Finally she giving advice and I stopped asking.

Another nice day in the books and the temperature not quite 95 with some welcome wind.
Tomorrow is Red Mountain. It is touted as the nicest course in this area.  I’ll be up before dawn swinging in the room in hopes that I can find the magic move that leads to more birdies!










No comments: