Friday, March 8, 2024

Day 3: Mike Clark in Thailand

What a great start to the day with an early alarm and a view of the sunrise as it comes up over the mini mountain behind my hotel.

Just like back home, the minute the sun begins to crest, birds start singing and things slowly start to come alive. Today finds me off to Laguna Phuket Golf Club. As we enter this area I can see it’s an upscale, very well maintained small community that’s most likely populated by expats and has a resort feel. I thought it to be quite similar to Hilton Head.

My caddie for the day was Jom. Pretty quiet to start the day off as I wanted to hit a few balls and I think she was trying to feel me out, both as a player and customer for the day. I have a tee time of course and they do book singles, but the starter is looking to build groups when he can which I’m totally cool with. I hate waiting almost as much as Coleman and Crowe so
I was paired today with a very nice couple from Spain, Suzana and her Husband Fernando.

Away we go on the first tee and from the looks of this place, it reminds me of links golf in Scotland with lots of rolling mounds, but also similar to Hilton Head with water on every hole.
Jom still has not said much and there is definitely a language barrier today but… hey… I’m in your country so it is what it is.

All is well until we hit the 4th hole. I’m hitting the ball well off very tight lies and 4 appears to be a long par three. Joms got my rangefinder and the scorecard and says “217 to pin” It looks long to me but I’m not sure. She repeats “217 to pin”.

Hey gimme the 3 hybrid which I proceed to smoke on a great line as it’s gaining altitude over the green and descending  off a mound in the back and across the street. Double 5…Thanks a lot and give me the range finder back please….which once back in my possession needs to be wiped down free of slimy white pasty makeup. Once I take control of the distances we gel a bit and things go smoothly with smiles around.

Fernando and Suzana can keep it moving and we are all having fun. Golf gods I think are smiling on me as I’m hitting it well and making a few putts until we reach 13.

Perfect drive down the middle and I’m taking dead aim on the second with a slight downwind wedge from 122. Nice strike and it’s right online until I hear the crack of the stick… Jom says “no good” as her vantage point is better than mine as the ball ricochets off the bottom of the flagstick and into the lagoon on the left. After the drop I’d even give Crow odds he couldn’t get it up and down but definitely out of my talent league….. another smooth 6 on the card.

Jom was very anxious to show me pictures of her kids on her phone as we were nearing the home stretch and let it slip she was a widow as well. Those that know me also know I dearly love looking at pics of kids. NOT …. And an even bigger NOT when I’m trying to make birdies.

Overall this is a very difficult course but not very scenic as evidenced by the lack of pics. If you can’t keep it in the fairway it would make for a very long day.

Tomorrow off to Phuket CC Old Course and a rangefinder I’m eager to keep in my possession.









No comments: