Thursday, March 21, 2024

Day 16: Mike Clark in Thailand

Last night I arrived in the busy city of Bangkok just in time to set up camp on the 19th floor of the Hilton …..and looking out the window of my room, I can probably throw a football to someone on the balcony of the high rise next door. It’s literally that close.

There are a lot of people here and although I’ve only been to New York a couple of times… this has a similar feel. Non-stop traffic, honking, scooters and motorbikes everywhere, dodging in and out of regular cars… it’s amazing to see.  I hit the road, walking around the city, last night to experience the area and get a feel for what’s near me. I walked and walked, got turned completely around and with the help of google maps, I ended up even farther from my hotel than when I first realized I was lost.

I must have looked awfully out of place and in need of serious assistance as a young taxi kid on a scooter pulled over and asked if I needed a ride.  10 minutes later and in the opposite direction I was headed …..he dumped me off the back of his bike in front of the Hilton. Total cost $2.80.  What a deal.

This morning, I realize that golf in Bangkok is not close to the city.  A solid hour of travel finds me at Royal Bang Pa-In golf club.  It’s extremely nice and manicured to perfection.

My caddie is a bubbly young lady named Tid.  One of the first things she asks me was “You Smoker?”  I shake my head no and tell her the “only thing I’m smoking today are tee shots down the middle” …. She doesn’t get my attempt at humor and puts an ashtray in the cart.  I later learn that many Asian golfers and others who play smoke continuously on the course.

Tid and I get along splendidly. Scanning the vista all around reveals very few other players on the links today….. no waiting and a nice plus to the start of the round.  I’m playing the blues and this course has some bite from those Tees with 3 par 4s over 430 yards.

All could not be better and I’m even par until I hit 17 again…. It’s a par 3 with a long narrow green, no bail out left as the surface slopes to the water…. Right is the sensible play.  A nice little nine iron finds me pin high but on the fringe, no more than 20 ft right…. And of course above the hole. This time, I take the toe of the putter and ever so gently tap the ball thru the fringe and onto the surface of the green… it nearly stops but then gravity takes over and it slips the standard 8 foot by its intended destination.  Another bogey on the 17th as my comeback putt is short.  Golf is just cruel sometimes.

Bang Pa -In has wide fairways but hazards abound in the form of water and sand that come into play on virtually every hole.  It was a very enjoyable round and finished in 3 hours which allowed for a bit of extra much needed short game work.

Tomorrow Thai Cc which according to my driver is a Gem…. We shall see!












No comments: